Wednesday, October 19, 2011

10 Days and Counting

10... FRIGGIN'... DAYS. This morning we received the Final MCM Newsletter with all of the last minute details for race day and my stomach dropped about 3 feet. 

I've been in COMPLETE denial about this race for the past 3 weeks. My knees have given up on running altogether, so I've focused my efforts on elliptical training, stretching, and lots and lots and lots of foam rolling. 
Have you guys done any foam rolling? I currently have a love-hate relationship with that surprisingly effective contraption. It practically brings tears to my eyes every time I'm on it, but I can actually feel it stretching out my muscles and working out all of the tightness that could hold me back on race day. I'm hoping it will loosen up my IT band so that I can hobble along for more than 3 miles at a time. But only time will tell. [Full disclosure: I am completely awkward on the foam roller. There is not one graceful thing about it. Let's just say, it's a very good thing I live alone]

Woo hoo for 10 more days! (I had to force out that enthusiasm. My internal thoughts aren't quite as excited). Oh, and do you guys remember my BFF and blogging partner Liv? Me neither. Earth to Mrs. Champion! We're running a marathon in 10 days. Just sayin'....


3 comments:

  1. Hi, I've been following your blog for a while, and I just wanted to say I'm in the exact same boat as you with this marathon! It's my first marathon and basically everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong: I broke a toe, twisted a knee, and now of course I got sick three weeks out, so I've missed the last critical two weeks of long runs. I'm just focusing right now on keeping up with yoga so my joints and muscles are nice and lubricated and supple, and getting in a few more solid 8-10 milers with some short, fast 3-milers, just to keep my hips and knees used to the pounding. And on race day, I'm going to relax and try to have a good time (and not, like, die). You play the hand that's dealt and just try to have a good time, that's what I say! See you on race day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for saying hi, meg! and, oh my goodness, you've had quite the series of trials and tribulations. it's kind of scary pushing your body's limits, but hopefully we'll be okay with the right attitude. i look forward to not dying with you on race day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg - although I hate that you have had issues as well, and I by no means wish the worst for anyone...I can't deny that it's not a little bit comforting to know that we are not alone. Due to too much travel scheduled these past two weekends, I also missed the last two weeks of long runs. Still comforted that I at least managed to squeeze a 20 in there before I went dark but that feels like oh so long ago. Loving your style - thanks for reminding me I need to focus on having fun on race day.

    ReplyDelete