Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Romance with Running

Let’s talk history folks. I need to divulge my past relationship....with running. For Liv - it’s been an on again/off again kinda thing. She used to love to run....like in elementary school. I was one of those kids that actually liked the mile run for the presidential physical fitness tests every year...because I was awesome at it! I mean, I set the record for the mile at our elementary schools’ 6th grade track meet - just the stuff of legends, nbd. Sadly, last I heard it was broken, but that’s neither here nor there. I could run a six minute mile, now I’m lucky to run a ten minute mile! Whuck the hell happened to me?

But I was always a distance runner- never a sprinter. I think it was the endurance that I built up swimming competitively for 8 years of my life. Alas - it wasn’t swimming, or running that I stuck with...it was cheerleading. That’s right folks, I started cheering in the 7th grade and didn’t stop until my junior year of college.


Throughout high school and college I still loved to run - and could run well - 3 to 6 miles at the drop of a hat. But somewhere along the way I either stopped being good at it or stopped enjoying it so much - basically we broke up...and we didn’t remain friends. I think my knees had something to do with it. The two years I cheered in college involved countless times of being popped off of a stunt from 8+ feet in the air. Sure the guys slow the girls down by catching them at the waist - but you’re still striking the ground every. single. time.


Now I’m having those feelings....those long lost feelings about my old boyfriend running. And I’m missing the way we were, and those good times that we had, and I want him back. So where are we now? Well I’ve called him a few times.....but it’s strictly treadmill. But there is hope for us still...I ran three miles straight on the treadmill the other day.

The immediate roadblocks I see when we take our rekindled relationship outside...hills, and me stopping to walk. What is it with me being able to run three miles on the treadmill and then coming up with any excuse to walk after like 3 minutes of running outside? I’m fairly confident I run the same. I think it’s my reliance on the pace setting aspect of the treadmill. When we go outside I start to take things too fast, I’m thinking “ooooh, maybe I’ll let him get to second base tonight” and he hasn’t even taken me on a real date. I’m hoping that’s where our relationship counselors Sal, and Garmin (the watch) will come in handy.

Other possible problems on the horizon....my side love afair with Equinox, my gym. That’s right - I admit it....I’m a cross-training/class loving ho! (But more on that later).
Hello lover!
lylas,



No comments:

Post a Comment