Friday, April 15, 2011

Foodie Friday: Mashed Cauliflower = Mashed Potatoes

Yay though I've walked through the valley of limited legumes, I shall fear no vegetables...anymore. How come no one told me, in my entire life, that mashed cauliflower might as well be mashed potatoes, yet with half the calories?

Thanks to a co-worker who brought a taste test in to the office, I have seen the light. After she sent me her recipe, and I stumbled upon another online, the below is a combination of the two and my own addition of goat cheese (because it's the cheese I had in my fridge). But really it's so easily adaptable, I don't think you can mess it up by adding anything that tickles your fancy. For example, my co-worker's recipe called for 1/2 cup 75% reduced fat Cabot Sharp Cheddar Cheese (shredded), and the online recipe I found called for Brie - don't both options sound delicious?

Here's what you need for about 4 servings:
1 large head of cauliflower
a 32 ounce carton of vegetable broth
1/4 cup skim milk
1 Tbsp butter
2 ounces of goat cheese
3 clove
s of garlic
S + P
Chives or scallions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place garlic cloves on a baking sheet and roast for at least 5 minutes (or more if you have time and want to get the full roasting experience where the cloves can easily be squeezed out) - mmm...roasted garlic.

Pour the entire carton of vegetable broth into a large pot and boil.

While the broth is heating, cut into the cauliflower head. Leave the stems and chop up the florets. Throw all florets into the boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes until tender.


Drain cauliflower, reserving 1/4 a cup of the broth. After drained place cauliflower back into warm pot and add the butter and goat cheese to stir together and allow to melt. Spoon cauliflower into food processor or blender. Add roasted garlic, milk and reserved broth. Pulse or blend until smooth - it's that easy! Add salt and pepper to taste and bam...might as well be mashed potatoes.

If you want you can serve with chives or scallions - but why wouldn't you? It only makes it better.

Then serve it to your husband and watch as he finishes his entire portion right after having come home to find you chopping cauliflower, saying "ew, I don't like cauliflower."

2 comments: